Every year, the IRS expects a surge of taxpayers to submit their tax returns during the Presidents Day weekend. It’s a good time to file as there are just about two months left until the April 15 deadline. Filing before Presidents Day means people can have peace of mind after completing their tax time requirements.

Here are some tips taxpayers can follow to avoid the rush ahead of the upcoming holiday.

Go online
IRS.gov has several online tools to help taxpayers get fast answers to common tax questions:

Use Where’s My Refund?
Taxpayers can access Where’s My Refund? anytime to track their refunds. They can find this tool on both IRS.gov and the IRS2GO app. The IRS issues most refunds in less than 21 days, although some require additional time. Agency customer service representatives can’t answer refund questions unless it has been:

  • 21 days or more since the taxpayer e-filed
  • 6 weeks or more since the taxpayer mailed their return

Also, in some cases “Where’s My Refund” may tell the taxpayer to contact the IRS.

Taxpayers can also call the automated IRS refund hotline at 800-829-1954.

Validate identity
Taxpayers who call the IRS with questions about their account should be ready to verify their identity. IRS telephone assistors may ask a series of questions to confirm the identity of callers. Many of the answers to these questions come from the taxpayer’s prior year tax return.

Make an appointment
All Taxpayer Assistance Centers operate by appointment. Anyone who needs to meet with an IRS employee in person can visit the nearest office. Taxpayers can search IRS.gov for their local office and find details about how to make an appointment.

Taxpayer Assistance Centers do not prepare and file tax returns, but local volunteer sites around the country can help qualifying taxpayers prepare and e-file their tax returns.

Replace a missing W-2
Employers should mail or provide Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, to their employees by January 31. Anyone who didn’t get their forms by the end of January should first contact the employer to alert them about the missing form. Even if you don’t get a Form W-2, you must file on time and you may need to use Form 4852, Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, or Form 1099R, Distributions From Pensions, Annuities, Retirement or Profit-Sharing Plans, IRA’s Insurance Contracts, Etc.

Share this tip on social media — #IRSTaxTip: Presidents Day brings a surge of activity – avoid the rush  https://go.usa.gov/xERDx